Attend a Free
Sleeve gastrectomy is a safe, effective surgery that can help obese people lose weight. Patients may undergo sleeve gastrectomy as a single surgery or the first stage before a gastric bypass.
At the University of Maryland (UM) Center for Weight Management and Wellness, our surgeon has more than 15 years of experience in performing weight loss surgeries including sleeve gastrectomy.
Sleeve gastrectomy involves removing most of the stomach, limiting the amount of food you can eat.
During the procedure, the surgeon:
- Divides the stomach along its vertical length to create a long, slender pouch, or sleeve.
- Removes the rest of the stomach, about 80 percent.
Sleeve gastrectomy helps with weight loss because:
- The stomach sleeve allows only a small amount of food to pass through.
- Removing most of the stomach causes changes in gut hormones to suppress your appetite, control blood sugar and help you feel fuller longer.
The advantages of sleeve gastrectomy include:
- Average weight loss of more than 50 percent of excess body weight, and weight loss maintenance of more than 50 percent, similar to results of the gastric bypass
- Preserved stomach function because the nerves of the stomach and the outlet valve (pylorus) are not changed
- Less risk of developing vitamin and mineral deficiencies because the food you eat follows the normal digestive path
- Fewer office visits than for the LAP-BAND because there is no need for band size adjustments
Our head surgeon uses only the laparoscopic approach for sleeve gastrectomy surgery because of its many advantages. The procedure enables him to perform many of the same procedures as in traditional, open surgery. The advantages of laparoscopic surgery include:
- Less pain and reduced need for pain medication
- Less risk of wound infection
- Quicker recovery and return to daily activities
- Several small incisions rather than a large one
- Shorter hospital stays
Sleeve gastrectomy helps people who cannot lose a large amount of weight and maintain the loss through diet, exercise and other lifestyle changes. It can be a weight loss option for adults who:
- Are either approximately 75 pounds overweight with a major obesity-related health problem such as:
- Heart disease
- Sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
- Or are greater than 100 pounds overweight without any other complications
- Have a complex surgical history
- Are at a high medical risk for bypass surgery
- Do not want a foreign body implanted, as in LAP-BAND surgery
Learn more about our weight loss services whether you may be a good candidate for sleeve gastrectomy.
Learn more about our other weight loss surgeries and treatments:
If you would like to make an appointment or talk to someone about our services, please call 1-800-492-5538 (patients) or 1-800-373-4111 or 410-328-8940 (physicians).