Educational Purpose: The University of Maryland Reproductive Endocrinology rotation provides the resident with a fundamental knowledge base as well as clinical experience and competence in the area of reproductive endocrinology. Though residents gain an appreciation of the subspecialty, the focus is on topics pertinent to the practice of general obstetrics and gynecology and making appropriate referrals to a sub-specialist.
This rotation is for PGY-2 residents.
- Evaluation and management of the infertile couple including an understanding of assisted reproductive technologies (e.g. superovulation, intrauterine insemination, in-vitro fertilization, intracytoplasmic sperm injection, preimplantation genetic diagnosis)
- Evaluation and treatment of patients with recurrent pregnancy loss
- Evaluation and treatment of patients with menstrual disorders with a focus on polycystic ovary syndrome
- Evaluation and management of patients with reproductive endocrine disorders such as hyperprolactinemia with or without galactorrhea , thyroid disorders, and hirsutism/androgen excess
- Management of the climacteric with a focus on understanding hormone replacement therapy
- Evaluation and management of pediatric and adolescent reproductive endocrine disorders including congenital reproductive tract abnormalities and delayed or precocious puberty.
- Develop familiarity and competence with the common procedures utilized in the practice of reproductive endocrinology and infertility (endometrial biopsy, post-coital test, hysterosalpingogram, sonohysterography, transvaginal ultrasound, operative laparoscopy and hysteroscopy)
- Vaginal ultrasound
- Infertility work-up
- Endometrial biopsy
- Postcoital test