University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt Psychiatry Residency Program
Salary and Benefits:
The annual stipends for all residents at the University of Maryland for the
residency year beginning July 1, 2012 and ending June 30, 2013 are:
PGY-1 - $ 48,714
PGY-2 - $ 51,095
PGY-3 - $ 53,449
PGY-4 - $ 55,647
PGY-5 - $ 57,817
- Insurance: Major medical, dental, vision, life, short and long term
disability, and malpractice.
- Vacation/Leave: PGY-1 residents -- 15 working days of paid annual leave. PGY-2, PGY-3, and PGY-4 residents – 20 working days of paid annual leave. There are five working days of educational leave beyond the PG-1 year, which can be extended to ten days in PGY-3 and PGY-4 with approval of the Training Director. Two weeks of paternity leave and six weeks of maternity leave are permitted. Seven official holidays are observed each year.
- Professional Dues and Licensure: The training office will cover American Psychiatric Association (APA) and Maryland Psychiatric Society (MPS) dues. The training office also provides funding for residents presenting papers or posters at scientific meetings. If a Maryland medical license is obtained by the beginning the PGY-3 year, the training office will cover one-half the cost.
- Educational expenses: All residents receive a yearly stipend for educational expenses.
- Meals/Parking: Provided free of charge at on-call sites. Lunch weekly at the Thursday resident meeting. Parking is provided at all sites.
- Annual Retreat: A unique group experience is held on one Thursday in the fall (location may vary year to year). This provides an excellent opportunity for team-building and getting to know your colleagues better.
This page was last updated on:
- Moonlighting/Extra Training: Available with written approval of the
Training Director in PGY-2, 3 and 4. A variety of opportunities are available in state, private, and federal facilities.
- Picnic: Each year the training office holds a picnic to welcome the incoming PGY-1 residents to our program. It is typically held at a staff member’s house or at a park. Residents are welcome to bring their family members or significant others, and there is a wide range of activities throughout the day.
- Annual Holiday Party: in December, the training office organizes a dinner for all the PG years and for the department staff. Recent venues have included The Rusty Scupper and Admiral Fell Inn.
September 6, 2012.
For more information, call the University Physicians Consultation and Referral Service at 1-800-492-5538 (patients) or 1-800-373-4111 (physicians).