The UM Center for Weight Management & Wellness
Surgical Weight Loss
Who is a good candidate for weight loss surgery?
This page was last updated on:
- Adults ages 18 to 60 who have a BMI over 40 (calculate your BMI), thus being
greater than 100 pounds overweight .
- Adults with a BMI between 35 and 40, thus being approximately 75 pounds
overweight, who have obesity-related medical complications, such as diabetes,
heart disease, or sleep apnea.
- Adults with a BMI between 35 and 40 without obesity-related complications can request that their primary physician order a Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) and SPLIT sleep study to determine if they have diabetes or sleep apnea.
- Those who have failed to lose weight by non-surgical means (weight loss
programs, diets, etc). Some insurance companies may require documentation
of participation in at least one weight loss program.
- Those willing to commit to a lifelong change of proper diet, exercise,
and medical follow up.
December 1, 2009.
If you would like to make an appointment or talk to someone about our services, please call 1-877-866-7348 (patients) or 1-800-373-4111 or 410-328-8940 (physicians).