University of Maryland Cardiology Physicians at Westminster
Our Office Services
24-Hour Holter Monitor
This test is ordered by your physician so that he or she can continuously record your heart’s rhythm for 24 hours.
How the test is performed:
- Five electrodes are put on your chest and attached to a small recording monitor, approximately the size of a pager.
- You will wear the monitor for 24 hours and have it with you at all times. The monitor is battery operated.
- You will also be given a diary to record any symptoms that you have while you wear the monitor. The diary should be returned with the monitor. Any symptoms noted will be correlated with any irregular heart rhythms.
- Within the next few days, your study will be interpreted by a cardiologist. The results will then be forwarded to your ordering physician.
How to prepare for the test:
This page was last updated on:
- Wear two-piece clothing
- Avoid using lotions or oils the day of the study.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to help with the check-in process at the front desk.
May 6, 2009.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 410-876-0086.