Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Health
Rotations: University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) - Genetics
Educational Purpose: Provide exposure to advanced ultrasound
diagnosis, evaluation and counseling regarding genetic anomalies and experience
in elective pregnancy termination.
This rotation is for PGY-2 residents.
- Obtain detailed history of inherited disorders, ethnic- or race-specific
risks, and teratogen exposure, and perform pedigree analysis
- Counsel patients regarding the manifestations of common genetic disorders
- Understand the risks and benefits of various methods of invasive fetal testing
such as amniocentesis and cordocentesis
- Be able to implement appropriate maternal and fetal/neonate tests to evaluate
possible causes of fetal compromise/demise
- Counsel a patient and her family following adverse pregnancy outcome regarding
such factors as recurrence, future care, possible interventions
- Understand indications for 1st and 2nd trimester terminations, procedure
for termination, and possible complications
This page was last updated on:
- 1st trimester ultrasound scan Level II ultrasound
- Genetic counseling: Advanced maternal age,
- Abnormal serum screens, Family history of genetic abnormalities
- 1st and 2nd trimester termination
June 6, 2008.