Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Health
Rotations: University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) - Reproductive Endocrinology
Educational Purpose: The University of Maryland Reproductive
Endocrinology rotation provides the resident with a fundamental knowledge base
as well as clinical experience and competence in the area of reproductive endocrinology.
Though residents gain an appreciation of the subspecialty, the focus is on topics
pertinent to the practice of general obstetrics and gynecology and making appropriate
referrals to a sub-specialist.
This rotation is for PGY-2 residents.
- Evaluation and management of the infertile couple including an understanding
of assisted reproductive technologies (e.g. superovulation, intrauterine insemination,
in-vitro fertilization, intracytoplasmic sperm injection, preimplantation
- Evaluation and treatment of patients with recurrent pregnancy loss
- Evaluation and treatment of patients with menstrual disorders with a focus
on polycystic ovary syndrome
- Evaluation and management of patients with reproductive endocrine disorders
such as hyperprolactinemia with or without galactorrhea , thyroid disorders,
and hirsutism/androgen excess
- Management of the climacteric with a focus on understanding hormone replacement
- Evaluation and management of pediatric and adolescent reproductive endocrine
disorders including congenital reproductive tract abnormalities and delayed
or precocious puberty.
- Develop familiarity and competence with the common procedures utilized in
the practice of reproductive endocrinology and infertility (endometrial biopsy,
post-coital test, hysterosalpingogram, sono-hysterography, transvaginal ultrasound,
operative laparoscopy and hysteroscopy)
This page was last updated on:
- Vaginal ultrasound
- Infertility work-up
- Endometrial biopsy
- Postcoital test
June 6, 2008.