Toggle: English / Spanish
- The uterus is exposed through the abdominal wall, and an incision is made in the uterine covering.
- The muscles of the uterus are separated, producing a hole for the delivery of the infant.
- The infant is delivered through the opening in the uterine wall, after which, the uterus is stitched closed.
- Last reviewed on 5/16/2016
- Irina Burd, MD, PhD, Associate Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Isla Ogilvie, PhD, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.