Desmopressin (Into the nose)
Treats thirst and frequent urination caused by diabetes insipidus or brain injuries. Treats bleeding disorders (such as hemophilia A and von Willebrand disease). Also treats nocturnal polyuria (frequent urination and increased volume of urine at night).
DDAVP, DDAVP Rhinal Tube, Stimate
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- This medicine is for use only in the nose. Do not get any of it in your eyes or on your skin. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Before using the medicine, gently blow your nose to clear the nostrils.
- Prime the spray bottle the first time by spraying 4 times into the air or until you see a fine mist. Spray away from your face. Prime it again with 1 spray if you do not use the bottle for more than 7 days.
- Throw away the bottle and any unused medicine after 25 sprays.
- DDAVP® or desmopressin generic:
- Prime the spray bottle the first time you use it by spraying 5 times into the air, away from your face. Prime it again with 1 spray if you do not use the bottle for more than 7 days.
- Throw away the bottle and any unused medicine after 50 sprays.
- Prime the spray bottle the first time by spraying 5 times into the air or until you see a fine mist. Spray away from your face. Prime it again with 2 sprays if you do not use the bottle for more than 3 days.
- Throw away the bottle and any unused medicine 60 days after opening.
- DDAVP® Rhinal Tube System: This is a soft plastic tube with numbers (doses) marked on the side. Draw the drops into the tube until the liquid reaches the number for your dose. Put one end of the tube into your nose and the other end into your mouth. Blow gently until the medicine is sprayed into your nose. Do not let any medicine run down through the tube into your mouth.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose. Noctiva: If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
- DDAVP®: Store at room temperature in an upright position.
- Desmopressin generic or DDAVP® Rhinal Tube System: Store in the refrigerator in an upright position. If you will be traveling, the product is good for up to 3 weeks at room temperature.
- Stimate®: Store at room temperature in an upright position. Throw the bottle away 6 months after it is used for the first time.
- Noctiva: Keep the unopened nasal spray bottle in the refrigerator in an upright position. You may store the opened bottle at room temperature.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use Noctiva together with certain diuretic (water pill, including furosemide, torsemide) or systemic or inhaled glucocorticoids (including dexamethasone, fluticasone, methylprednisolone, prednisolone, prednisone).
- Some medicines can affect how desmopressin works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, chlorpromazine, hydrochlorothiazide, or lamotrigine
- Blood pressure medicine
- Medicine to treat anxiety
- Medicine to treat depression
- Medicine to treat an overactive bladder
- Narcotic pain relievers
- NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (including aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, cystic fibrosis, a nose injury or infection, head injury, or trouble urinating. Tell your doctor about all heart, circulation, or blood problems you have, such as heart failure, high blood pressure, history of blood clots, heart attack, or stroke.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Low sodium levels in the blood
- Fluid retention
- High blood pressure
- Blood clotting problems
- Your doctor may limit the amount of fluid or water you drink each day, because this medicine will affect how your body stores water.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments. For patients with nocturnal polyuria: Your doctor will need to measure your urine and the times that you urinate for 24 hours.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Confusion, weakness, and muscle twitching or spasms
- Nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting that does not go away
- Nosebleeds or painful nostrils
- Rapid weight gain, swelling of your feet, legs, or ankles
- Severe headache that does not go away
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea or stomach pain
- Runny or stuffy nose
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.