Micafungin (By injection)
Treats fungal infections. Also prevents Candida infection in people undergoing stem cell transplant.
Mycamine, Mycamine Novaplus
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein. This medicine is given slowly, so the needle will have to remain in place for at least 1 hour.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how micafungin works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or a blood disorder (such as anemia).
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankle, or feet
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Pale skin, unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- Tiny red dots on the skin, especially on the lower legs
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, trouble sleeping
- Mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.