Terazosin (By mouth)
Treats high blood pressure and enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)).
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Capsule, Tablet, Liquid Filled Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Your dose may need to be changed several times in order to find out what works best for you. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Take this medicine at bedtime unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using verapamil (Calan®, Covera®), diuretics or "water pills" (such as furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, Aldactazide®, Aldactone®, Dyazide®, Hyzaar®, Lasix®, Lotrel®, Maxzide®, Moduretic®, Norvasc®, Zestoretic®), or any other blood pressure medicine (such as atenolol, metoprolol, Accupril®, Altace®, Cardizem®, Cardura®, Lotensin®, Lotrel®, Monopril®, Plendil®, Prinivil®, Tiazac®, Toprol®, Vasotec®, Zestril®).
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you stop using this medicine, your blood pressure may go up. High blood pressure usually has no symptoms. Even if you feel well, do not stop using the medicine without asking your doctor.
- Do not stop using this medicine without asking your doctor. If you have not taken the medicine for several days, you will need to use a lower dose when you start taking it again.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face, lips, or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Chest pain (may be related to your disease and not a side effect)
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Fever, chills, sore throat
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
- Prolonged or painful erection
- Swelling in the hands, ankles, or feet, rapid weight gain
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision
- Muscle or joint pain
- Problems with sex
- Runny or stuffy nose
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 10/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.