Support Services for Cardiac Patients
We know that heart disease affects more than just your heart — it can have other physical and emotional effects as well. At the University of Maryland, we provide you with all the care and support you need during your health care journey.
Our holistic approach to heart care means we care for you, not only your heart. Our support services include:
Read more about the treatments and services we provide.
Proper nutrition can go a long way in preventing and managing heart disease. The nutrition staff, as part of your heart care team, provides exceptional, personalized care to help promote positive outcomes.
We provide clinical nutrition services to all of our heart patients before and after surgery:
- Our dietetic technician and dietitian work together to screen, assess and monitor you on a regular basis.
- We integrate appropriate diet recommendations, including specialized nutrition support, into your care plan.
- We provide nutrition education as well as needed.
Our patients benefit from individualized case management services. As you get ready to leave the hospital and return home, it can feel overwhelming to coordinate your discharge plan. Our nurse case managers take the burden off you by communicating with the physicians, heart teams and insurers to develop a discharge plan geared toward your needs. This way, you can focus your effort on recovery and resuming your regular activities.
- Referrals for home care, inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation
- Assistance with ordering supplies and equipment needed at discharge
Browse inspiring stories about patient treated at the University of Maryland Heart and Vascular Center.
After surgery, physical therapy helps you to get back on your feet again. Our experienced physical therapists provide rehabilitation to patients with a variety of cardiac diagnoses.
- Individualized exercise programs to enhance physical recovery from surgery and promote strength and wellness
- Monitoring your progress
- Education on activity progression, in preparation for return to daily home and community activities
Meeting people who are undergoing the same heart care journey as you can be a powerful experience. Through our support groups, you can provide and receive support from fellow patients as well as learn more about your condition from top medical professionals in the field.
Heart Disease Support Groups at the University of Maryland
The University of Maryland Heart and Vascular Center hosts regular meetings for caregivers and patients with congenital heart conditions or recipients of heart or lung transplants. Learn more about these groups and join us.